**Update! They have renamed the app to Media Downloader. Looks like anyone who purchases this after June 20 will unfortunately lose the ability to save Youtube videos, removing the main use anyone would have for the app. If you were lucky enough to grab this app before that date, do not update it! Other sites will still work:
I just came across this app this weekend. Downloader Elite (iTunes link) will allow you to “download any legal resource from the Internet”. Here, you will be able to save videos directly onto your iPad, iPod touch or iPhone without connecting it to a computer. I have tried it with a couple YouTube videos, and it has worked quite well.
Within the app, you will see a browser that looks very similar to Safari. Type in whichever video website you want in the address bar:
Tap to play the video that you want to save, then when it is fullscreen, tap and hold the screen. You will see this box pop up:
Another way to download from the iPad is to click the save button on the upper left corner and choose “Save Page Video”.
This screen will show up. I would rename the file here, while keeping the file type .m3u8 intact:
Your Downloads will show progress on this screen:
Your iPad/iPhone will now begin downloading the file locally. When it is complete, the video will show up under “Files”. You are able to create playlists as well:
Why save videos? Here are some uses:
- Teachers can show videos to their students without relying on the wifi connection;
- Parents can show their children appropriate videos while on an airplane or on a roadtrip;
- Mobile teachers (travelling, non-classroom owning teachers, like myself) do not have to worry about internet connectivity or any streaming issues;
- There will be absolutely no lag as these videos are completely saved onto the devices;
- No use of bandwidth, no need for wifi (watch the videos countless times without worrying about data usage!);
- Private music teachers can portably take any video of their choosing and use them in their teaching;
If saving videos interests you, I would recommend purchasing this app, which costs only 99 cents, for a limited time (normally $1.99).
Let me know if you have tried it and whether it has worked for you in the comments!